Free-form Station Rotation Lesson

As I planned my lesson for today, I identified three specific tasks I wanted my students to complete over the course of our 90 minute block period. I knew they would work at different rates, and I wanted them to have the flexibility to move through each task at their own pace.

IMG_0393

Below were the tasks I had planned:

Station #1: In-class flip with a grammar video about using semicolons followed by a collaborative practice activity.

Station #2: Edit, revise and improve their vignettes using my feedback as a guide.

Station #3: Find a synonym and antonym for each of our 15 SAT vocabulary words.

It did not make sense for us to march lock step through these activities. I also didn’t want to use the traditional Station Rotation Model and give students a limited amount of time in each station. Instead, I decided to experiment with a free-form approach to the Station Rotation Model.

Students began in one of three stations. When they were done with the task in that station, they were welcome to physically move on to the next station. I cautioned them to transition without disrupting those students still at work. It was amazing how focused and productive they were!

I love creating a classroom environment where students have the freedom to move around, work where they need to, and use the technology or tools available without having to ask permission. I will definitely use this variation on the Station Rotation again!

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 10.55.12 AM

Bestseller! Available on Amazon.

This entry was posted in Blended Learning, Learning, Online Learning, Technology in the classroom and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Free-form Station Rotation Lesson

1. John Mackay says:

love it. I wish my 9 yera old daughter had a teacher like you. !

john

2. Pingback: Free-form Station Rotation Lesson | digital publishing • e-learning • branding

3. L Clarke says:

. Your use of an inclass-flip is so good to see…planned ‘blended learning’ works! Am sure your examples will encourage others to give it a go.

• I hope my examples do encourage teachers to experiment with blended learning.! It’s so freeing to know that we can weave learning mediums together and select the best learning environment for every task.

4. Nicole says:

Catlin, do you guide students to certain stations you think they should start with? Or do you give them suggestions about timing if it looks like they’re spending a lot of time at one station? I guess my question is do you place more emphasis in the tasks themselves or in budgeting time to ensure they accomplish all three tasks within the period?

Thanks!

• Hi Nicole,

I broke the class into three heterogeneous group and each group began with one of the three tasks. I told them they had 70 minutes to complete all three. Once they completed the task at the group where they began the lesson, they simply picked up their stuff and moved to the next station. Some students spend more time in a specific station and less time in another. I did have a couple of students who needed to finish up an activity either at lunch or at home. I was flexible about that aspect of completion. If they finished early, they were welcome to get started on the homework. I did not recommend a particular amount of time, but I did have a timer projected so they could more effectively manage their time.

I am definitely more interested in students taking the time necessary to thoroughly complete a task. However, learning to budget time is a really important skill that many of them struggle with. I like allowing them opportunities to try to manage time instead of always providing the cues for movement or transitioning to another task.

5. Angela says:

I frequently use free-form stations when my students are working on different skills or projects. Students know what they have to do and are given the time frame. I circulate and help when needed. It can be a lot of prep work, especially when students are reviewing skills they need more practice with, but I feel the learning is more personalized.

6. Alexis says:

This looks like a great activity! I have a few questions: 1. How would you do this in a 45 min period? 2. Is there a group you are working with the entire time and what task are they working on with you? If not, what are you doing for the 70 minutes? 3. What is a good resource or resources to use to help plan these lessons? I would like to incorporate this into my lessons how would you recommend I start if I’m doing this for the first time and in a 45 minute period?

• Hi Alexis,

1) If I taught a 45 minute period, I’d use this same lesson over two periods. Alternatively, you could have only 2 tasks instead of 3.

2) In this lesson, I floated supporting students – answering questions, working individually with students who are struggling, and providing feedback on the vignettes. I use traditional timed Station Rotation if I am leading a group.

3) I’ve written other blogs on Station Rotation you can check out if you want to learn more about the model in general. I’d suggest taking a linear lesson that you’d normally do and take the individual tasks in that lesson and break them up into individual stations. I’d also suggest starting with a fixed time at each station so kids get the hang of it before you embrace a free-form version of the Station Rotation Model.

• Kelly Monroe-Porco says:

I have a logistical question for large classes. We have three stations set up in the back of the room – 6 students for each. The rest of the class is in the remaining seats at the front of the room.
        If I whole group them for a mini-lesson while the others are in stations, how do I move the whole group kids out of the front and into the station rotation and vice-versa? I do not want to do 6 stations, but I have 32 kids.
        I just bought your book on blended learning and I am loving it!

• Hi Kelly,

Maybe it would be easiest to break this into two separate days. Day 1 – Group A is doing the whole group lesson while Group B rotates through the three stations in the back. Then on Day 2 – Group B would have the whole group lesson and Group A would move through the stations. That might be easiest.

If you want to get through it in one class, then you’d want to divide your time evenly between the whole group mini-lesson/practice and the small group rotations. It’s important that they both last the same amount of time. That way Group A could start as a whole group (30 minutes), while Group B rotates through the three stations (10 minutes per station).

I hope that helps!

7. Heidi says:

Hi Caitlin,

I really enjoyed reading how you are using the Station Rotation Model in your classroom. I started Personalized Learning Stations just a few months ago, and it has been great on so many levels! I almost think I could teach like that all of the time, but there are other things to fit into the day. I am doing them for about the same amount of time you schedule yours. I have fourth graders, and they absolutely love it.

We use a program called i-Ready as a diagnostic tool for both math and reading. This ends up being one of the stations the kids rotate through. Are you using any tool like that? This program is adaptive, which makes it differentiated, and that is something I really like. I use it to pull small groups for specific lessons they might need, and not just the low kids, all levels get chosen for small group instruction. While they are in a small group with me, the other kids are rotating in a more flexible model.

The one challenge I am having is the accountability for all the work. They fill out an exit slip at the end of the week, which is good for them, and helpful for me, however, collecting and looking through the rest of the work can be a little daunting. Of course, I make the work meaningful, and much of it is aligned to the CCSS, or it is a relevant project we are doing in class. However, I still haven’t gotten the management details down on collecting the work, especially since kids finish at different rates. Any tips you might have on that would be so helpful!

Thanks so much,
    Heidi

• Hi Heidi,

I do not use iReady. I use NoRedInk for grammar and that does adapt based on the student’s individual performance.

I do a lot of formative assessment during Station Rotation. I have conversations with groups, check their data on NoRedInk, provide real-time feedback in their documents as they work. Sometimes I collect work, but they do not submit an individual assignment for every station. Sometimes they are working on a project that has several parts, but may not have a deliverable at the end of a class. For example, today they are working on a part of an RSA animation video. They won’t submit anything today for that project, but I’ll speak with each group to make sure they are on track.

If kids complete assignments at different rates, you can set an “end date” and collect everything at one time to avoid confusion.

I’d caution you not to feel you must collect and grade everything they work on. That can be a hard adjustment, but sometimes the value is not in the product but rather the process.

I’m not sure if that answers your questions, so feel free to let me know if you have additional questions.

• Heidi says:

Thank you Catlin for your response! It is good to get continued support regarding not feeling pressured to grade all the work. You are right, it is more about the process, and not always about grading it all. Like you said, I do have some work that I absolutely want them to do, and I am looking at that more deeply. I also feel that you can get a good idea where the kids are at by just giving it a good overview. I also like to touch base with kids at the different stations as a check in. When I’m with a small group, though, that isn’t really possible.

I am not familiar with NoRedInk. I will have to give that a look. My kids certainly need help with their grammar!

Thanks again,
        Heidi

8. Pingback: Inspiration Stations: A Creative Spin on the Station Rotation |

9. Pingback: 3 Ways to Shake Up The Station Rotation Model |

10. Pingback: 3 Ways to Shake Up The Station Rotation Model |

11. Carolyn says:

As a middle school teacher, I have struggled in the pass to include centers. Last year I was finally able to incorporate 3 distinct sessions, one self-directed online, one self-directed at their desks, and 1 teacher led activity. It worked, in part, because I had an awesome co-teacher helping. I like your idea of the self-paced model. I think I will try it out this year since I no longer have a co-teacher.

• Carolyn,

I really like free-flow stations and so do students. It’s a nice spin on traditional stations but honors that students progress through activities at different rates.