1st Day Student Survey with Google Forms

On the first day of school, my students complete a detailed student survey. It is designed to collect basic information and help me get to know my new students. The more I know about them, the easier it is for me to design and facilitate learning opportunities that will appeal to them.

I also hope that taking the time to ask them questions, instead of simply inundating them with information, will communicate my genuine interest in them as individuals.

Click here to make a copy of my 1st day student survey to adapt and use with your students.

Instead of sending this survey home, I build it into a station rotation lesson on the first day of school. Students complete this survey and join our Remind text message group in one of our online stations.

13 Responses to 1st Day Student Survey with Google Forms

1. Katherine says:

This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing. Do you have the kids fill out the VARK? It online. How do you make a Google doc to have the option to have it made into a copy?

• Joan Englade says:

If you hover over the link for the student survey, you will notice at the end of the link it says /copy. On a normal google doc that you are editing, the link will say /edit. If you want to send a google doc link in which you want the user to have to make a copy, you replace /edit with /copy, and then copy the link. Hope this helps.

2. Elizabeth says:

I love this survey. I added questions about music, since I love to play tunes while students write and read. Other than the Selfie Icebreaker, could you share what other stations you use day 1?

3. Kim says:

Can you share what your other 1st day of school stations are? I want to try and implement more stations this year and figure this would be a good way to introduce it. Thanks

4. Ari says:

I would love to learn more about the scavenger hunt you create with this information!!

• Hi Ari,

I do one of two things. Either I create a scavenger hunt using a random detail from each person’s survey OR I create a generic scavenger hunt to get kids out of their seats and talking. For example, “Find someone who…went camping this summer or has more than three siblings.” They are only allowed to talk to one person at a time and they must begin with an introduction.

5. Pingback: Sharing Diigo Links and Resources (weekly) | Another EducatorAl Blog

6. Jaclyn says:

What else do you have students do in the station rotations?

• Jaclyn,

I get my kids for two years, so it changes every other year.

Survey and join Remind
      Random Autobiography (poem format of information)
      Favorite book pitch (FlipGrid) then gather three suggestions to help select an SSR book
      Class scavenger hunt
      Socrative “guess that movie line”
      STEM challenge/team building exercise