Conversations Instead of Grades

At the start of this year, I wrote a blog titled “Grading for Mastery and Redesigning My Gradebook,” which detailed my desire to rethink assessment in my classroom. I was tired of students always asking me about points and grades, instead of asking me about how they could improve their skills.

I wanted feedback and assessment to be an ongoing conversation. Too often students complete work at home in isolation. Then the teacher collects that work, takes it home, and grades it in isolation. This traditional workflow does not encourage face-to-face conversations about where each student is at in terms of his/her journey towards mastery.

Too often the time a teacher spends leaving comments and edits on student work is never used to improve those pieces. Students are often unsure of their own strengths and weaknesses. And many do not know how to improve on the skills they are struggling with. This is where conversations can be more powerful than grading.

For the last 3 class periods, my students have been engaged in either a Station Rotation lesson or independent work on their digital portfolios. As they work, I have conferenced with each individual student to discuss their most recent argumentative essays. Prior to these conversations, I synchronously edited their work on a shared Google Document. I provided detailed feedback and comments on their writing throughout the writing process. Then when they submitted their final drafts, I did not add any additional comments to their documents. Instead, I completed a simple rubric for each essay. The time I normally would have spent adding another round of comments to accompany the rubric was spent conferencing with my students.

During our face-to-face conversations, we discussed their specific areas of growth and I highlighted areas where they needed to continue to develop. I pointed students to videos and online resources I thought would support them in improving in these areas. I also ended every conversation by asking, “Is there anything you want to ask me?” It was interesting to watch their expressions as they contemplated this question. It was clear this isn’t a question they are asked very often. Many of my students asked about an aspect of writing they were confused about. Some asked about a comment I had previously made that they didn’t understand. I realized that many of my students will never ask these questions unless I create the time and space for them to do so.

As I conclude this year and reflect on what worked and what didn’t, I believe spending less time grading and more time having conversations with students about their progress has been one of the most rewarding shifts for me. Next year, I am determined to move assessment back into the classroom where it belongs!

This entry was posted in Grades and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Conversations Instead of Grades

1. I found your blog on Twitter and I feel that I have also been moving in this direction in assessment. I have been avoiding giving students grades on their work and instead provide comments on what they have done well and where they can improve or revise. It is much more useful for the students but it has been a battle to change their mindset from years of schooling where they have been so focused on their grade. Also, the grade seems to be set more against a standard and not reflecting the students’s growth. I have used Google Docs and Sites in my class a lot this year, leaving comments to provide feedback on student work. It’s slowly taking effect and I am starting to get more and more student buy-in rather than battling to know their grade.

2. brenda valencia says:

Wow, I definitely say Amen! I found your blog on FB. In this 3rd and last trimester, I shifted grading to no point/letter grades. I still have to put it into the official gradebook. Our conversations have dramatically changed for the better. My students appreciate the feedback of how they are growing and learning. Everyone is so much more happier.

3. Rabia says:

In Singapore, a teacher teaches a class of 40 students. Based on your experience, how can a teacher go about having conversations with each student while they are doing their writing assignment? Need some tips on how your “conversations instead of grades” can be implemented in the classroom. I am very keen to try out this strategy.

Thank you.

• J Smith says:

I went to a session at a conference where they teacher used stations to teach writing. 2 weeks were spent with each group while the rest of the class worked on either a group project or independent work. This might be something to try?

4. Pingback: Conversations Instead of Grades | Learn and Ble...

5. mrs. lowe says:

glad to know another educator is doing one-one conferencing. i do this with my students a lot too. they are now on argumentative essays and it has been a pleasant experience over all. i love one-one time w them. thanks for sharing this. (excuse my lower casing…)

6. zainab says:

Implementing technology in education system ,help educator to engage learners active and positive ,blended learning has significant place now ,so grading learners must complies the new learning skills not eliminates grades.

7. Tjerk Huisman says:

For my Thesis i am currently designing a model that measures the learning of students from reflection. The most important aspect i found with my data is that a dialoge is very important, just like this article says, to implement in education. Do you, the writer, or other readers of this article have any good ideas of what to implement in my instrument?

The result will be an instrument that measures improvement instead of grading a reflection.

8. Pingback: Professional Development - magistragigante | Pearltrees

9. Pingback: School Libraries | Pearltrees

10. Soumyodeepa Mukherjee says:

Hi
    It’s definitely a great thing to try especially when a child is still young enough to be more receptive towards new ideas. Even I used to keep at least one period regularly when I used to be a home teacher when we used to discuss the strengths and the scope of improvement of each child. They used to enjoy it immensely and actually used to follow those advices more often. This collective as well as one to one discussion had been really helpful and proved to be a great success. But I had also noticed that they also used to eagerly wait for their grades. Merely discussing didn’t satiate the modern generation children. 😀 But yes definitely I would like to agree on the fact that active and blended learning always render a better scope for improvement.

11. Great ideas here! I love the ability to converse in Google docs and interact with kids outside of the classroom. I have not incorporated math conferencing this year, but I have been doing more math journaling and have found that extremely helpful too (in different ways).

12. Pingback: A new vantage point on authentic learning | Reflections on teaching

13. Lauren Ford says:

“I wanted feedback and assessment to be an ongoing conversation.” This is exactly what I want! Caitlin — Have you heard of Kiddom? It’s apparently a standards/mastery-based platform that also integrates with Khan, CK-12, Google Drive, and others. I found out about it on Cult of Pedagogy (www.cultofpedagogy.com/kiddom-standards-based-grading). Haven’t tried it myself but wondering what your thoughts about it were. Thinking about switching up to a platform to that can get my students to think deeper about how to, as you said, “improve their skills.”

14. Lisa says:

I love the idea of face-to-face conferencing with students on their work in order to help them improve, this is so important! I think the comments you make before the conference make so much sense to give students the opportunity to ask questions. My concern would be that the ‘involved’ parent is left out of the discussion, rightfully so. Is there a document you use during these conversations that the students can refer to, when they are at home and working on the assignment? The conversation is only as good as the student’s take away and implementation of the advice given during these conferences. Would love to know your thoughts.

• Hi Lisa,

Yes, parents can see the complete rubric and have access to the directions for each assignment which I post on a viewable Google Document.

You could always record the conversations and archive those to share with parents. Comments can always be added to a Google Document using either Goobric or Kaizena.

15. Diana Johnston says:

I enjoyed reading all of the comments and I want to embrace this new concept on “Less Grading and More Conversations.” I like the immediate feedback to the student. The updated information is communicated to the parent on their student’s progress on a frequent basis rather than at a later time. I look foward this summer as I educate myself on Google docs and Google Drive.

16. Brian Stumbaugh says:

This is fantastic! As I approach co-teaching this fall, this will be a valuable resource. Thank you!

17. Pingback: L’élève « hacker  de son évaluation | «Site de François Jourde