Station Rotation Model in Action (Video)

In a previous blog post titled “Create Small Learning Communities with the Station Rotation Model,” I described many of the reasons I use the Station Rotation Model in my secondary classroom. I highlighted the benefits of working directly with small groups of students, using technology and station design to differentiate instruction, and maximizing the limited technology available in our low-tech classroom.

I’ve had several teachers request concrete examples of the types of stations I design for my high school English class. The two videos below provide a window into my classroom and give teachers some insight into my thought process and how I design of the various stations.

In the videos above, I talk about how I am using StudySync, which is a cross-curricular, core literacy program with hundreds of digital texts, dynamic videos and multimedia lessons. I use StudySync to extend learning online, differentiate my instruction for various skill levels, encourage active reading in the digital space, teach the Common Core Standards, and engage students in a range of activities to develop their reading and writing skills. StudySync has a huge digital library of media and texts ranging from historic speeches to poetry to excerpts from novels.

Before using StudySync, I was limited to the texts available on my campus in our school library. Now, I can choose from hundreds of texts and assign different texts to students at different reading levels. The lessons built around the texts are dynamic and develop vocabulary, reading, and writing skills. I often use tools like StudySync, Vocabulary.com, and flipped videos to create my online stations for my Station Rotation lessons.

18 Responses to Station Rotation Model in Action (Video)

1. Pingback: Stations | Pearltrees

2. Love the idea of children “owning” an idea after not only researching it, but also presenting it to their peers. We’ve found this to be particularly strong in math as well. Thanks and keep up the great work!

3. Jennifer Ozkan says:

This is great! I love stations! I have a few questions: Do students stay at a station for the whole class? Or do they rotate during class time? How do you handle the transitions? Do you have a signal to get them to move? If some students aren’t done with the work at a certain station do they return later or move on anyway? Sorry for all the questions! I really want to do this in my class and would love some insider tips!

4. Pingback: Blog #5 Emerging Technologies – 203 Learning

5. Pingback: 6-12 ELA | Pearltrees

6. Pingback: Catching up on e-mail… part 3 | Latin, Classics, and Education in the 21st Century

7. Neena Grosvenor says:

Hi Caitlin,
    I have followed your work from my days using Collaborize. Thank you for these practical videos. As a staff developer for my district I intend to show these videos in my upcoming trainings as they provide a great visual and step by step guide for teachers, especially those teachers that have reservations about trying blended learning in the secondary classroom. Thank you for your continued contributions to make us better in our practice.

8. Paige Junge says:

You mentioned horizontal versus linear agendas; and that’s where I’m stuck. A lot of what we do is dependent on the previous activity on the agenda.
    What advice do you have to begin building horizontal agendas that still allow for a linear creation process? (Leaving aside, of course the idea that creation is really recursive in nature!)
    For example, students won’t really be able to create their paragraph outlines without a thesis, and they can’t do a thesis without creating a topic, etc…

Thank you so much for all of this wonderful information!

• Hi Paige,

The key for me is to think about station rotations as a series of lessons (like a layer cake). The stations in a single station rotation lesson do not build on each other, but the stations on day 1 will lead into stations on day 2. Does that make sense?

When I teach writing, I have a Tucker Time station on day 1 where we cover thesis statements in my teacher-led station (and there are other stations — discussion station, read & annotate station, flipped vocabulary video station). Then the next class we might cover hook strategies or outlines in my Tucker Time station. So, that one station builds on itself over consecutive days.

I hope that helps!

9. Kammy Meyers says:

Love your station rotation model! Where do you get the blasts that you mention in the video?

10. Amanda Walker says:

You mentioned in the video about a ‘blast’ as a small article or
    piece you want the students to read. Are these from a particular place/website or do you just search what you want and use it?

11. Danielle says:

Caitlin,

I am excited about implemented many of your techniques this coming year. In regards to the annotation station that you have students do, how would you approach them completing the annotations if they cannot write/annotate inside the books? What other strategies have you used with success?

12. Prince Jones says:

Such an inspiring video. I will definitely show it to my fellow staff members and management. This is indeed a motivational video.
    Best,