Padlet: Time to Take a Selfie Icebreaker

Do you struggle to learn your students’ names at the start of the school year? If so, this is an icebreaker activity you should try!

First, teachers create a Padlet wall, title it “Time to Take a Selfie,” and provide a prompt with questions for students to answer. Below is a list of questions I have used to encourage students to share something about themselves. Typically, I select three questions for them to answer in their post along with their names and photos.

• Where is your happy place?
  • What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?
  • What is the furthest place you have traveled?
  • What is something you like about yourself?
  • What is your favorite story (book or movie)?
  • Do you consider yourself an introvert, an extrovert, or a mix? Explain.
  • What is one thing you wish you had more time for in your life?
  • What do you do to relax?
  • When you are not at school, what do you spend most of your time doing?
  • What is your most prized possession? Where did it come from and why do you love it?
  • If you could only listen to one genre/type of music for the rest of your life, what would it be?
  • Think about the best class you’ve ever had. What made that class so special?

Once you’ve created your Padlet wall and decided on a question or multiple questions, post your photo and response to model what you want students to do.

My students LOVE this activity, and it makes it so much easier for me to learn their names. I keep the Padlet Wall with their names and photos pulled up on my phone (and a tab on my computer) the first week of school so I can reference it throughout the day as I’m interacting with kids.

I also project the photos if we have a whole group interaction at the start of the school year, so kids can look at the images and respond to each other by name. It’s important that our entire class community value learning each other’s names and making connections. This icebreaker is a fun way to do both!

23 Responses to Padlet: Time to Take a Selfie Icebreaker

1. Judy Ramey says:

I’m one who has a horrible time remembering. I’m definitely going to do this!!! Thanks for your he idea!!

2. Pingback: Sharing Diigo Links and Resources (weekly) | Another EducatorAl Blog

3. Christie Hammons says:

Now that Padlet is no longer offering unlimited padlets with the Free version, do you have any other suggestions for how to implement this activity? My fellow instructional coach and I are trying to brainstorm how to possibly use Google Drawing as a replacement to Padlet.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas you can provide!
    Christie

• Hi Christie,

Free version offers 3 walls, so I can reuse walls. You could do it with video using FlipGrid.

Here are some alternatives to Padlet.

• Catherine Swetavage says:

Catlin,
        Padlet’s free version offers 12!
        Thanks for the idea about the icebreaker. I haven’t used Padlet since they made changes and when I signed in, it notified me the free version only offers 12. 12 works for me!

• Terese says:

I just went on the site too, and see they have changed to only three wall creations. ugh. I will look at the alternatives you have mentioned.

• Julie White says:

It looks like the number of Padlet walls you can have in the free version have something to do with how much you used it previously. I have 17 Padlet walls in my free version.

From Padlet – “We came up with the padlet limit on your account by adding the number of padlets you have made in the last three months to the number of padlets already in your account.
        The rationale behind this arithmetic was that three months worth of extra padlets would give you enough time to evaluate your options should this new setup not work out for you.”

• Monica Kimbrell says:

Hi Christie,

I have run into the same problem; however, I am going to use the “shelf” layout on Padlet. This will allow me to make each column a class period. Think it will be fun for the students to scroll through and see their friends responses from other classes.

Monica

• Courtney says:

That’s a good idea! I am literally making mine now and was debating on how to set it up to accommodate all of my classes! Didn’t want to give up too many of available padlets.
        Thanks!

4. Rosie Fleming says:

This is a great idea for me to get to know new teachers at the beginning of the school year in the schools in which I train! Great idea!

5. Michelle Touceda says:

You’ve inspired me once again. The padlet is up, I posted my example, it’s ready for the first day of class.

6. Leslie M says:

Love the idea. My school is pretty particular about stuff so I can only use google classroom. Any ideas how to do this with that? Lol

7. Pingback: Not Another Syllabus! TEN Refreshing Back to School Activities to Try | Klein ISD Newsroon

8. Laura Barduhn says:

Great idea! I am new to padlet and will be trying out several questions during the first week. This selfie idea is already loaded…another padlet i created is a share out on what items they learned from the syllabus. Hopefully I can navigate this successfully. I only was able to make three, so I am assuming you just hurry and delete posts or clear wall between classes?

9. Pingback: Beginning the School Year With Connections: 2018 | User Generated Education

10. Laura Gunnell says:

Love it! Great list of questions! I’m going to try this with Padlet and Flipgrid for different classes and see which helps me more 🙂

11. Jennifer Albaugh says:

How do the kids post the selfie? Our school chrome books don’t allow
    students access to the camera. I use Padlet a lot for class discussion questions and just reuse them now that they’re charging.

12. Jennifer Krier says:

I have never used Padlet. I want to do this activity but with the free version. How many student selfies do you think I could fit on one Padlet wall? I teach 6th, 7th and 8th grade and I am wondering if I could have a wall for each grade. I have aprox 250 students. Thanks.

• Hi Jennifer,

I believe you get three walls with the free version, so you could make a wall for each grade level. I have never hit a limit of images on a wall and I’ve used this strategy with groups of 100+.