Teaching & Assessing Soft Skills

The career landscape is changing dramatically. The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that the average worker currently holds ten different jobs before the age of forty. This requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability.

Students who leave high school with strong soft skills will work more harmoniously with others and be more successful tackling unfamiliar tasks. However, teachers must explicitly teach these soft skills in school. Teachers cannot assume that students know what it looks like to communicate effectively. Many students have never been taught specific strategies for managing their time. These are skills they must develop and hone in school.

This year I am focusing on both teaching and assessing these critical soft skills. I identified key soft skills I wanted to focus on, including the ability to manage one’s time, communicate, collaborate, solve problems, and think creatively. Then I created rubrics so students would know exactly what these soft skills look like in practice.

Now my teacher team uses these rubrics to give each student feedback on where he/she is in relation to mastering these crucial skills. Because we are a project-based program, these soft skills are often as necessary to their success working on large scale projects as their academic skills.

Below are a few of the rubrics I designed. Teachers are welcome to click on the pictures and make copies of these rubrics to modify and use with their own students!

If you have strategies or resources you use to support students in developing their soft skills, please post a comment and share them!

26 Responses to Teaching & Assessing Soft Skills

1. Pingback: Compétences parascolaires | Pearltrees

2. Pingback: Improving Instruction / Student Engagement | Pearltrees

3. Ikram says:

Very useful rubrics. Thank you for sharing.

4. Patricia Camacho says:

Hi Caitlin. How do I get s hold of your work? It
    Might be something I could use with my students.

• Hi Patricia,

Are you asking about the books I’ve written? If so, you can search my name on Amazon and they are all sold there. If you are looking for something else, let me know!

5. Hi Caitlin,
    Thanks for sharing your rubrics, so detailed!
    ciao
    Nives

6. Marianne Farrugia says:

Thanks Catlin,
    I agree these skills are important and are not just gained by osmosis! I wonder what further impact the rubrics would have if they focused on what students do demonstrate instead of what they don’t (in some instances) making them more of a continuum and thus recognising the progressive nature of learning and coming from a positive presupposition.

7. Debbie Jarrett says:

Very helpful – thank you for sharing !!

8. Cindi Hodgdon says:

I find collaboration in a team a tricky one to assess in terms of leadership – that tends to be something we look for and value, yet if everyone tried to lead a group, it would break down quickly. Sometimes the “worker bees” are underrated, but I try to praise those who could lead, but also know when it is time to just do the work and follow directions. I think you get at that with “multiple roles”, but sometimes their only role THAT day is worker or leader. That is why it is important to regularly assess collaboration (and even have students self assess!) Thanks for sharing your excellent rubrics!

9. Dr Richard Blackburn says:

Very useful indeed. I’ve spent my career in higher education, and I feel that this is applicable to students studying for degree level qualifications. For quite some time, I have used ‘soft skill’ development exercises in my own teaching as an add-on to the more technical, subject-specific aspects of learning programmes, and it has generally been well received by students. From my perspective, I think soft skills are key to effective learning, and I applaud the approach used here.

10. Kristin says:

Wonderful! Thank you!

11. Pingback: Assessment - Teaching & Learning | Pearltrees

12. Kathy says:

Hi Catlin from Perth, Australia. Thank you for sharing these thoughtful and detailed rubrics. Our students work online in a shared platform, so we are particularly interested in your rubric on Online Communication. This is a terrific resource that will prompt a lot of discussion from both educators and students!
    Kathy

13. Terra Graves says:

I’ve followed your work for years. Thanks for these great rubrics. Our department uses something similar based on the Microsoft ITL 21CLD Rubrics. (See our website below.) We use this with teachers on their lesson design. Keep doing your good stuff!
    Terra

14. Aisling Sammon says:

Could I get these rubrics emailed

15. Sapna yadav says:

Thanks for sharing Catlin. Very helpful

16. Juliette Barber says:

Thank you for sharing these. Particularly interested in your approach to building skills, if you’re ever looking for a connection in N Ireland, let me know!

Juliette, Derry, NI

17. Pingback: Educator Blogs: Inspirational, Aspirational, Perspirational | SLM508KLH