Google Docs Scavenger Hunt

With the new school year, comes new students and a steep technology learning curve. My goal is to make learning how to use technology fun and engaging. Given how many tools we use, that’s no small feat!

Many of my incoming 9th-grade students have never used the Google Suite prior to my class. I could spend 10 minutes walking them through Google Docs and explaining the functionality, but I’d lose their interest immediately.¬†Instead, I designed a Google Scavenger Hunt to encourage my students to explore Google Docs on their own.

The first week of school, I use Google Classroom to make a copy of this scavenger hunt activity for every student. This can be done simultaneously as a whole class making it a competition or in small groups at a station.

To make a copy of this document, click the image and “Make a copy” of the Google Doc. If you are logged into your Gmail, a copy will save in your Google Drive.

My scavenger hunt activity includes Calfornia trivia, but any teacher who makes a copy of my document can edit the scavenger hunt for their students!

Hopefully, this activity can help other teachers provide their students with a fun introduction to Google Documents!

37 Responses to Google Docs Scavenger Hunt

1. jennifer pint says:

I teach sixth grade and this will be great for my students

2. sheri says:

What a great resource and practical way to teach Google Docs features! Thank you for sharing!

3. Anchen says:

Caitlin, What a terrific idea!! We are just deploying Chromebooks to all of our nearly 1,000 high school students in September. Your scavenger hunt idea will be perfect for our students and also for our nervous teachers, some of whom are novice G-Suite users. I so appreciate all that you share!! Thank you!!

4. Susan says:

Thanks so much, i will use this in The Netherlands in my spanish classes

5. Nkululeko Fuyane says:

A valuable tool for teaching Google Docs

6. Vicki Mills says:

Excellent idea!! I will use the Scavenger Hunt idea in my classes in Geelong Australia!!

7. Felicia says:

This is a fantastic resource for both students and teachers! I’ve been using Google Docs for a while and I learned a few things myself by completing the scavenger hunt. Thank you, Catlin, for sharing this with us.

8. Denise Krebs says:

Thank you, Catlin, I’ve already edited it for my students in Bahrain! Thank you so much for sharing! You can see my edits at tinyurl.com/GDocHuntBH

Denise

9. Pingback: Websites to Check Out | Pearltrees

10. Mike Eagan says:

Awesome resource. Thank you so much love it. My class will love this scavenger hunt. Do you have any similar scavenger hunts for slides?

11. Josephine Dublin says:

Great resource! I hope to use it with principals as we encourage schools in our group to use more digital resources in their schools.

12. Kimberly Richards says:

Great resource for both staff & students! Thx Caitlin! (I’ll be looking for the slide version)

13. Sharon Hudson says:

I love this idea of a scavenger hunt to teach students how to use/find their way around in Google Doc, thank you for sharing!!

14. Ted Tiefel says:

Absolutely terrific! Do you have plans on making a Google Sheets version?

• Hi Ted,

I have not designed a scavenger hunt for Google Sheets because I don’t them that often. Maybe I’ll give it a go when I have some time!

• K. S. says:

I too hope that you create one for Google Sheets! They are great extensions and enrichment for my middle school students as a pre-assessment of the Tech Skills for future projects. I imagine the Google Sheets scavenger hunt would be a little harder because of number of different things Sheets can do. Almost need “how to” videos to go with the exact scavenger hunt for each component to help them work through it.
        -Keep up the great work!

15. Krystal M. Thompson says:

Such a great resource! Thanks for making it so easy to use!

16. Kay says:

Thanks for sharing–I’m thinking I can do this with my Elementary Staff!!

17. Pingback: Liven Up Your English or Language Classroom: Google Slide Scavenger Hunt | BroadyELT

18. Tina says:

Thank you for sharing. I have used with JH and HS students! I also want to have our teachers complete the scavenger hunt.

19. Kristen Coulter says:

Your scavenger hunts are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing.

20. Pingback: Diigo Links (weekly) | Mr. Gonzalez's Classroom

21. Alan Hamilton says:

Thank you for sharing! I have modified it and sent it to 200 of our S1 pupils ahead of Scottish Maths week – a great way to introduce Google Docs to students,

Alan

22. James Moffett says:

Thanks so much for sharing. I use it with my 7th grade Digital Literacy class – they love it!

Jim

23. Janet Cordle says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. Even my most reluctant learner enjoyed working in groups trying to find the answers!

24. Cathy McGeowan says:

Thanks for sharing…using this in my Intro to GSuite for educators! I think they will like it as much as their students!

25. Chuck Ryan says:

Phenomenal tool! I use this in my freshmen in high school class; “Google for Life.” Thank you for sharing.